SVS: Filé zetting in het Engels.

Verzameling van SVS-jes waarin stap voor stap wordt getoond hoe een werkstuk of techniek wordt uitgevoerd
Plaats reactie
Daniel Houwer
Zeer actief lid
Zeer actief lid
Ervaring: Professioneel goudsmid

SVS: Filé zetting in het Engels.

Bericht door Daniel Houwer »

Iemand vroeg mij of dit in het Engels vertaald kon worden.

Hierbij,

Oh Dear, Joe Cera put me up to this.
First let me tell you that this ring was made without use of pneumatic equipment, so for a lot of you this may not be interesting. The engraving on the ring is no more than simple basic scratching.
This is an old school way of setting an eternity ring.

The eternity ring.

This ring was made for somebody who wanted a red golden ring with Safire and diamond?s
The 5 diamonds are 1.2mm. And the Safire?s are 1.5mm.
With this setting I need 0.5mm beside the stone?s so the ring will be 2.5mm wide.

Afbeelding

Make a mark on the center of the ring. I use a caliper for this. Set it on half the size of the ring, guide it on one edge and scribe a line from each side. If done well you?ve got one line. If not so well you?ve got two with the center right in the middle.

Afbeelding

Decide how far of the centers of the stone?s will be apart. I use about 0.2mm between each stone. For this one I used 0.3mm. The difference between 1.2 and 1.5. You could use 0.2 though.
Take your divider?s and set out the distance. Punch one centermark and use it as a start for your divider and set out the centers.

Afbeelding

Then use a centerpunch (dull burr with a 45degree point cut on to it) to mark the center?s

Afbeelding

Drill the hole?s with a little drill. I like to use 0.5 up to 0.8 when dealing with small stone?s.
If you use a 1mm drill straight away you don?t have much chance correcting ?miss drills?.

Afbeelding

Most of the time?s you have to correct some. Start with a 0.8 ball burr to correct the holes. After that, 0.9 or 1.0mm.
You don?t have to correct the hole in 1 go. You just have to adjust the hole until its right.

. Afbeelding

Don?t drill all the way through after about 0.9 Drilling through after that will only weaken the ring unnecessarily.
Push your ball burr?s in so deep that you will only see the top of the burr at surface level. The last ball burr (1 tenth of a millimeter smaller then the stone) will go in just a bit further than halfway so about 75%. This is to make it easy for the 90degree hart burr to make a seat for the stone without getting it to do too much work.
Hart burrs tend to cost a lot more then ball burrs so it pays to be gentle with them. Some burr life will help to.
When the seat is correct the stone should squeeze in nicely or even click into place. I often place the stone table down on a piece of hardwood or steel and push the ring over it. Don?t try this with soft or brittle stones!
When the seat is good the table facet of the stone should be level with the top surface of the ring.

Afbeelding

Don?t forget the hole?s on the inside of the ring. Finish them with a ball burr of about 1.5mm so that their nice and smooth. Then when all the stones fit properly some bead raising is in order. I use a round graver for that.
I make the graver from an old dull burr. The tip should not be too wide or narrow and should leave a burr big enough to hold both stone?s. Raising the beads is done at a pretty steep angle. This is to get a good strong bead with enough ?root?s? to be very solid. 45 degrees is a good angle to raise beads. Start the burr straight between two stone?s. I often draw a line from Stone to Stone. This line will be a good place to start the burr.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

After raising the bead?s the stone?s should be held in place and preferably stuck already. A 6 or 7 beading tool (in this case) is used to round of the beads. I start at a 45degree angle and wiggle my way up until the tool is vertical.

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

The stones are stuck and should not be able to move. Check this and correct if necessary.
Now it?s time to cut the edge of the setting. I use a square graver at the ends of the file and cut a small cut towards the center of the stone from both sides. This is just to help the flat graver to get a nice start or end. With the flat graver the sides of the file are cut. An onglette can also be used. Personal preferences are important.

Afbeelding

Start with a Sharp graver and keep it Sharp. Cut a nice straight cut besides the stones without taking too much off the beads of course. Sometimes it?s necessary to come back with the beading tool to finish or rebead the beads.
Afbeelding

Now the setting is ready to be polished and the ring could be ready for the new owner. This ring isn?t quite yet. The top and sides of the ring have to be engraved with a simple leaf motif done with a square graver. Two lines at the edge with even diagonal cross cuts. With a flat graver I cut the edges of the ?off? square?s to make them more leaf like.
Afbeelding

Afbeelding

As last the square is used again to cut the vein on the leaf. Then the sides

Afbeelding

Then the side?s of the ring and when done the millegriffe to bead up the edge?s,
A quick polish and the new owner can be called.
Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding
Afbeelding

Well, that?s about it. There are of course a lot of other ways to make such a ring. This is just a simple one with basic tools.
Hope you like it.

These rings were made the same way.
Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Afbeelding

Greetings,

Daniel
The best things in life are still made by hand
Aspasia
Zeer actief lid
Zeer actief lid
Contacteer:

Bericht door Aspasia »

I find this very beatiful.
Mooi h?.
Ik vind dit zo mooi!
Klasse!

Gr Freddy
Daan
Actief lid
Actief lid
Ervaring: Overig
Contacteer:

Bericht door Daan »

Ik haal altijd de braampjes weg voordat ik de steen erin duw (hij kan soms scheef gaan en het is een heel klein beetje moeite :) ).
Het is knap dat je korund erbij hebt gedaan. Laatst had ik een rijtje van 4 robijntjes, wat viel dat tegen vergeleken met de zirkonia's die ik altijd gebruik haha, maar ik heb ze er wel mooi erin gekregen.
Persoonlijk vind ik dat parel rantje van zo'n milligriffe jammer. Ik hou van lekker strak en ik vind het eerlijk gezegt storend want zo vallen je mooie greinen en fil?werk wat eerder weg, helaas.
Mooie SVS's maak je altijd.
Willem Parel
Zeer actief lid
Zeer actief lid

Bericht door Willem Parel »

Daan schreef: Persoonlijk vind ik dat parel rantje van zo'n milligriffe jammer. Ik hou van lekker strak en ik vind het eerlijk gezegt storend want zo vallen je mooie greinen en fil?werk wat eerder weg, helaas.
Ik vind het juist goed passen bij het totale karakter van deze ringen, ik denk dat Dani?l hier juist niet een strakke ring wilde maken (want dat lukt hem ook wel als ie het maar wil :lol: )
Bij het scheppen van het schone wordt veel geleden....
Daan
Actief lid
Actief lid
Contacteer:

Bericht door Daan »

Willem Parel schreef:
ik schreef:Persoonlijk vind ik dat parel rantje van zo'n milligriffe jammer. Ik hou van lekker strak en ik vind het eerlijk gezegt storend want zo vallen je mooie greinen en fil?werk wat eerder weg, helaas.
Ik vind het juist goed passen bij het totale karakter van deze ringen, ik denk dat Dani?l hier juist niet een strakke ring wilde maken (want dat lukt hem ook wel als ie het maar wil )
Daar twijfel ik ook niet aan :) , ik vind het altijd zonde zo'n randje. Maarja zo ben ik eenmaal, ik ben bijvoorbeeld ook niet veel met parels :)
Daniel Houwer
Zeer actief lid
Zeer actief lid

Bericht door Daniel Houwer »

Ja leuk he? I veind dis verie neis toe!
Dank je Freddy.

Daan, bedoel je de braampjes die bovenop kunnen komen of de braampjes van het frezen die onderin op je rusting kunnen blijven liggen?
Ik blaas de rustingen meestal schoon of hang de ring even in de ultrasoon. De bramen die bovenop kunnen komen (meestal door botte frezen) laat ik soms zitten of haal ze weg. Moet toch nog versteken dus het hangt ervanaf hoe groot ze zijn.

Deze ringen zien er zonder millegriffe wat raar uit met de gravure aan de zijkant. Ik maak ze ook zonder gravure en dan laat ik het millegriffe randje weg. En inderdaad, als ik het wil lukt het me prima er een strakke ring van te maken :wink:

Groeten,

Daniel

Ps. Daan, ik ben wel nieuwsgierig naar jouw ring met Korundjes!
The best things in life are still made by hand
Daan
Actief lid
Actief lid
Contacteer:

Bericht door Daan »

Daniel Houwer schreef:Daan, bedoel je de braampjes die bovenop kunnen komen of de braampjes van het frezen die onderin op je rusting kunnen blijven liggen?
Ik blaas de rustingen meestal schoon of hang de ring even in de ultrasoon. De bramen die bovenop kunnen komen (meestal door botte frezen) laat ik soms zitten of haal ze weg. Moet toch nog versteken dus het hangt ervanaf hoe groot ze zijn.
De bramen die er bovenop zitten die haal ik in principe altijd weg :) .

Ik wil over een tijdje foto's maken dan stuur ik je wel wat foto's op. Momenteel ligt het op school als ??n van mijn ondernemerssieraden.
Plaats reactie